Saturday, June 26, 2021

Weather started out with a really nice couple of days this week (some people called it cold), then it started getting pretty warm and humid again. On the plus side, been finally getting a real dose of rain for a couple days now. Who knows, the grass might even turn green this summer yet, after our couple months of drought and excessive heat to start the season.

A white-breasted nuthatch has been visiting the finch feeder for several days, maybe a week now. I was kind of surprised to see that. Usually, in the past, they have just walked up and down the trunk of the giant spruce awhile and grabbed the occasional peanut.

I used to take down the feeders for rain, until I noticed the birds often show up, sometimes more so, on rainy days. So I've mostly been leaving them out unless the weather is, or is supposed to be, getting very windy. Today was the first day of this spring/summer that I noticed the feed having gotten wet overnight, so I cleaned and refilled the feeders.

Still no sign of any more hummingbirds.

Next up, after it dries bit, start trying to improve the soil around here, I guess. I've been putting that off, focusing more on getting plants in place to try to look better around the house. Maybe I got it backwards, should have spent a season working on the soil first. Live and learn. Maybe. Sometimes, if you're lucky.

Unfortunately, try as I might, the yard will never look as good as it did three years ago.

No comments: