Thursday, June 03, 2021


Looks like almost ten years have past since posting here, and in the meantime, so has my best friend. As Bob Dylan might say, the only pal I had. 

So, now, I watch birds and chase away the squirrels as best I can that Rainey once took care of.

I recently toyed with the idea of keeping a journal about such things as birds I see, and...well, and I don't know what else. At any rate, so I can look back and see what I see when. Like, when do the juncos come and go. Earlier Spring, pretty much. And Mom can tell me when they get up there.

And should I do it on paper, or somehow digitally? Dunno, so what the heck... 

Toward that end, first (or, an) entry here.

I saw the first hummingbird of the season, June 1, and another one, today. According to the hummingbird migration tracker, all we should get around here is the ruby throated, so presumably that's what I saw, even though one was just sort of brownish. But today's was the conspicous bright green you might expect.

Other than that, a red-bellied woodpecker has been showing up lately, eating sunflower hearts, which kind of surprised  me, I thought it would be more interested in the peanuts, like the hairy/downy (I can't tell the difference) woodpeckers I see off and on.

The goldfinches seem to have been mostly gone for a few weeks now, though I see one or two occasionally. Now, it's mostly the house finches and house sparrows, and the odd cardinal. Not to mention a grackle that found it's way here, and an occasional starling.

And the squirrels. God love 'em, because I can't bring myself to.

As for today, pretty slow all around, apparently because (?) the birds and squirrels both had enough sense to not be out in the hot/poor air quality weather - 90 plus degrees and definitely felt it. 

At least I can say, so far, it looks like a good year for the roses.

No comments: