Monday, July 25, 2005

The madness of a seduced woman

About 25 years ago now, I read a book with that cheesy title. It was a great big book, about 600 pages I think, and I became obsessed with it. At the time I had five children and the largest house I've ever lived in to care for, plus a 25 hour a week job at the W.J. Niederkorn Library. Yet I found myself constantly sneaking off to read a little more in that book. I can remember quite a bit about the story. A young woman left home to work in a textile factory in Massachusetts in the late eighteen hundreds. A handsome but callow young man seduced her. There was a pregnancy and a very unpleasant back-street abortion. The young man then began to gradually make himself scarce. Ironically, the one thing I can't remember is what the heroine did in her "madness." Did she kill him? I just can't recall. What does this have to do with us and our blog? I feel like a seduced woman and I got mad. Seduced into believing how wonderful these Internet connections are, how easy to harness for my purposes. Perhaps I should mention at this point that I have no patience at all with machines. Our Mantis tiller has an edging attachment that does an excellent job. I rarely use it because I don't want to coax the nasty little thing to start. A few weeks ago my sister sent me nine beautifully wrapped birthday presents--all things that she knows I really like. In my excitement after opening them all I turned to my trusty computer to type a thank you e-mail. It takes a while to say thank you for nine presents. I was only about half done when the screen turned blue, my e-mail words turned white, the damn thing winked at me and just that quick my thank you effort disappeared. Three days later I tried again and IT happened again. One of my computer advisers, whose name is Matt, tells me to think of my computer as a file cabinet. Apparently a file cabinet that swallows my info, files it who knows where and refuses to return it. If you are reading this, it means that Mr. Computer File Cabinet has realized that the madness of a seduced woman is nothing to trifle with. I have cooled down, but this is most likely its last chance to behave itself.

No comments: