Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Planting season?

Matt, of the Midlothian Campaign, heaps coals of fire on my head when he makes an excuse for me for neglecting my blogging. It is planting season. Surely I must be busy planting. Actually, until recently the only thing that I had planted Outside was peas. Of course, for the last three months I have been planting and transplanting Inside a steady dribble of seeds into recycled foil pans, plastic mushroom boxes, milk cartons, yougurt cups, etc. They have needed to be watered and turned and shifted from house to greenhouse. But this is not the intense busyness that happens when it all gets planted Outside; when my husband and I attempt to turn much of our yard into gardens. I have noted before a strong tendency in myself to procrastinate. This is oddly especially true if the activity is one I supposedly intensely enjoy. Maybe I'm afraid of disappointment. Or maybe I resent the way it becomes an obsession and takes over my life. Then there's the marriage thing. My husband is a more restless, impatient person than I am. I often feel that he's pushing me. When he says, "Are you going to plant today? You have to get that stuff in the ground", there is a little devil deep inside me who's saying, "I do not have to." Last, but not least this year, is the weather. Should an older woman with arthritis be out fooling around in cold mud, her hair hanging in limp tendrils around her damp cheeks? I think not. Yesterday, though, it was a beautiful, breezy, sunny day with temps in the seventies. I planted the twelve snapdragon plants that I had bought at the nursery. They were big plants in tiny containers. I had stuck them at the base of my big potted bay tree and every time I looked at them they were wilted and near death. They are in the ground now and well watered and have revived. I planted three red celosia in a rocky nook in one of my flower beds. I love that rocky nook. I planted a big red geranium in each corner of our 20 foot by 30 foot railroad tie vegtable garden. And then, I weeded and planted that whole garden: a row each of Brussels sprouts, broccoli and cabbage, a wide band of onion plants, and four rows of bush beans: green, yellow, lima and a trial packed from Jung Seed Co. Called Tri-color Beans. In that garden there is some lettuce and spinach I planted late last summer that survived under the snow. When I add some more, the planting of that garden will be finished. And so it begins, my beloved garden season. But if I have any readers left, I pledge to do better with my blogging too.

No comments: